Monday, October 1, 2012

Catch-Up

My Book

My novel.

My saga.

My frustration.

I haven't written any of it since I've come to Scotland. My original plan was to write it in November for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). That is still my plan, so I've been plotting what's going to happen with my new bulletin board.




One problem that I'm sure many writers have encountered is naming my protagonist. I'm going to be stuck with her for quite some time, so I don't want a name that will inevitably annoy me. Also, she's not human, so I can't go the the cemetery, phone book, or baby naming websites for her name. Or maybe I can...

So that's my hang-up right now. It's hard to plot out a story if I keep changing her name. Maybe I'm over-thinking things. Perhaps I should just pick one and stick with it, then if I decide I don't want to use that name, go back and change it.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

At least I know what she looks like. That process was easy for me. I simply went through some magazines and picked out features that I knew where her. Hair style, eyes, chin. It was an interesting conversation with some of my flatmates who wanted to know why I was cutting up pictures of people.


TV


When I'm not thinking about my book, exploring Scotland, or doing school work, I watch a bit of television. Right now I'm trying to get caught up on Supernatural and also, as many of you can guess, Doctor Who. I just finished the Ninth Doctor and I'm starting the David Tennant episodes.

So yeah, I watch a lot of reruns or as it's called here "catch-up television." The reason is that to watch live TV a person needs a license that costs over £100. It's a bummer. Also some programs haven't been released in the U.K., so a message will pop up saying that it's not available in the country I'm in. It's a good thing that I wasn't in mid-season of any of my shows when I came over.

I use my laptop and the website TVLinks to get my fix. Unfortunately, yesterday (or the day before) I wound up with BearShare software on Joey. It was a nuisance to get rid of it. I ended up having to do a system restore, but even then my New Tab was broken. Broken! How does a tab get broken you ask? Easy, it opened to a new page with a search bar and space where my most visited sites should have been. There were no sites and the search bar didn't work.

I thought I was going to have to take Joey to the IT people to fix, but my flatmate, Faith, suggested uninstalling then re-installing Google Chrome. VoilĂ ! It did the trick. Have I mentioned how much I love Google Chrome? During the whole process, all of my bookmarks were kept as were my most visited sites.


Jordan


A couple of days ago I was sitting in the Atrium, playing Words with Friends and I noticed a guy taking a seat at my table. He was eating for a few minutes and I hadn't said a word. By then I figured it was just rude to pretend someone wasn't there when they were, so I started conversation with him.

He jumped right in, and as it turned out he'd been in lack of a little convo recently. His name is Jordan and he's a Scot! I was so thrilled to meet another Scottish person that I asked if he would mind if I interviewed him. So we arranged another meeting for an interview...

Unfortunately, YouTube wouldn't let me upload it because it was too long.

Fail.






1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH, I LOVE Google Chrome too! At least you didn't have the problem I did once...once all my bookmarks disappeared! Thankfully, just closing and then reopening GC did the trick. My brother LOVES Doctor Who, so I can kind of relate to that. Glad you are finding ways to keep up with some of your shows over there, good job!

    ReplyDelete