Monday, October 1, 2012

Glasgow

Glasgow

This Saturday Danial, Elise, and I took a day trip to Glasgow. A £7 round-trip ticket was an amazing price. What's even more amazing is the conductor who came to punch our tickets told us that three people traveling could travel for the price of two. So, that's something we'll be taking advantage of in the future.

The truth is, folks, I'm feeling under the weather again, and my mind's a bit mushy. So, I'm going to post some pics with captions of what happened.

The places we went:
  • Glasgow Cathedral or St. Mungo's
  • St. Mungo's Museum of Religious Life and Art
  • Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
  • The Tavern
  • The Necropolis
I'm sure I'll have more to say when I'm posting, so expect a very strange update.

I know what you're thinking. "Vicky, get out of the way. I want to see the cathedral."

You're not missing much because it was in the process of being cleaned. The stones were black from pollution and there was scaffolding from where they were working on it.

Inside was another matter. Whether you're a religious person or not, the architecture and artistry of the pillars and stain glass were truly something to behold. Ever go somewhere or see something that made you feel wonderfully insignificant? This is one of those places. 

Underground was an amazing crypt and, unsurprisingly, more places to pray.




















Our plans were to see the Necropolis next to the cathedral, but we were lured next door to St. Mungo's Museum of Religious Life and Art. It was a collection of, as you probably guessed, artifacts from different religions. I even got to learn about Catholic prayer beads. (Did my sarcasm come through? Good.) But seriously, they had some pretty interesting exhibits.

After that we took a taxi in hopes of going to a nearby castle, but when we told the driver, he looked at us funny and told us it was just a bunch of rocks. Instead, he took us to the Kevlingrove Art Museum.



We decided to stop at the cafe for a snack. Danial and I did a traditional tea time, which means we paid a pretty penny to eat snacks of deliciousness.

After our snack, we toured the museum.

What was awesome about this place was that it allowed spectators to get right in there. I was seriously waiting for this stuffed cheetah to wink at me. 



So, there was another part in the museum that talked about various cultures, and lo and behold the Glaswegians who fancy the Wild West. I saw more pictures of them line dancing. It made me feel a little at home.

Yes, that's me with another suit of armor. Let's not make more of this than what it is.




And that, folks, is Salvador Dali's Christ of St. John of the Cross. An amazing piece that isn't really like anything else Dali painted. I would have gone just to see this painting alone, and I wish I had more time to marvel at it. But alas, the museum was closing and we were shooed out.

After the museum we went to a tavern. It occurred to us that we'd eaten but not anything substantial. So we ordered steaks, cheap steaks, but we still dug in. I ordered mine medium rare, and the thing was mooing at me when I started eating. But I ate it all and enjoyed watching Manchester United vs. Tottenham Hotspurs. (I was totally rooting for the Spurs.)

Then it was a walk through the city.

Hot chocolate—mine was made with white chocolate—and then a journey back to the Necropolis where this video happened.



Happy to report that we were not murdered after all.

Until next time.

   

3 comments:

  1. I’m glad that the tale of your possible murder was grossly exaggerated. :P I am having visions of you setting off metal detectors at the airport trying to smuggle a suit of armor back to the US… Remember that they are starting to charge per lb. or kg (now that you are in England) for checked luggage. That’s all I’m going to say. I wish I could go see the castles and art with you, I’m glad you are enjoying yourself. I seem to say that every time, but am really happy for you. I’ll email you latter, I’m not sure but I might have had a disaster with the color of paint that is now on the walls of my room…
    Much love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm thinking there's a story about your room. Do email me! I miss you too Sarah, and I wish you could see some of these places with me.
    Oh, and why would you put that idea about bringing home a suit of armor? You know I'm going to look into it now...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool (the cathedral and museum part, not getting sick). I agree about "Whether you're a religious person or not, the architecture and artistry of the pillars and stain glass were truly something to beheld." I may be a Christian, but I can appreciate the majesty of almost anything religious. I really wish I could have gone to that museum, it sounds like fun! How interesting to see Glasgow and the Wild West in Scotland, I would have laughed really loudly if I were there, hehe. I hope you feel better soon :)
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete