Despite being asthmatic, I had agreed to go with Sami because I knew it would be beautiful and that Sami really wanted to do it. Unfortunately, I woke-up yesterday with a sore throat, probably caused by the drizzle and cool wind from the day before. So Sami, being the awesome girl that she is, took pity on the sick asthmatic and settled for the second best view, which was the rooftop gardens of the National Museum of Scotland. It was indeed breathtaking, and I vow to go back and tour the castle.
While at the museum, I saw claymores that were bigger than me. Wish I had gotten a picture of them. Oh, I also saw Dolly, the cloned sheep. She was stuffed and put on display.
After our trip to the museum we stopped for some tea. It was something we'd been doing, being in the U.K. and all. But oh my pretties, it wasn't just any ol' tea house—it was The Elephant House. For those who don't know, The Elephant House is where J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter.
Another thing that we saw on our trip out and about was the statue of Hume, who pioneered the essay as a literary style. You would think as a writer that I love writing essay. You'd be wrong. However, tradition states that you'll have good luck on your essays if you rub his big toe, so I bet you can guess what I did.
We did some quick shopping before Sami had to catch her train. It was bittersweet because my friend was leaving and I was now alone in a foreign country. But I know she missed her family, and being on my own will be good for me.
![]() |
| Miss you, Sami! |
After getting the layout of Waverly Station, I went back to the hostel. My plan was to leave my big bag at the station so I wouldn't have to lug it around. I should have known things were going to go downhill when I got lost, emerging from the underground station. But I did manage to find my way back to the hostel.
I wanted to hop online to check which station to get off and to get directions to my flat (and yes, watch a little Doctor Who.) My plans were thwarted when I couldn't get WiFi. A call to the hostel informed me that their WiFi was down in the annex building of private rooms and that I could make my way across the alley to use the WiFi in the common areas. Now what is the point of paying extra for a private room if there's no WiFi? Anyway, I trudged across the way only to discover a very crowded common room and only some working electrical plugs.
Fine.
Change of plans was all.
I woke up early, had breakfast at the cafe next door with free WiFi, and all before check-out. The only bad thing to report is that I dropped Joey, my laptop, on my breakfast. There are now bits of egg in her, and she is not happy with me.
Turns out all my planning was for not. Apparently there are two Union Streets. One in Stirling and one in Bridge of Allen which is a nearby town. I got off on the wrong stop and had to take the bus to my flat. Then when I got there, I discovered that to get internet access, I had to run a CD to install a program. There was only one problem—Joey doesn't like to play CDs. She's stubborn that way.
Never one to easily admit defeat, I decided I was going to walk to campus because one of the packets said they offered IT support this weekend. Friends, it was a 30 minute walk. At least now I know that I won't be doing that too often.
"But Vicky, think of the exercise you'd be missing."
Pfft. Did I mention my flat is on the top floor? That's four flights.
Goodnight all my loved ones in the Austin area. Expect a fitter Vicky to return.








I miss you too!! The flight home was okay, but very long. Luckily they took pity on us and showed The Avengers and Captain America. I have now seen all the MARVEL movies except The Hulk.
ReplyDeleteReally sorry to hear you still feel sick!
Oh - got a message from Liz. She couldn't find us (so I'm glad I gave her my email). So I found her and am waiting on friend confirmation. Now just to find Russian 1 and 2...or not.
Ta for an awesome week! -Sami
P.S. Totally should have bought that hat...If you ever go back will you let me know?
ReplyDelete