Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Culture Shock


Before coming abroad I had to attend a few seminars to prepare for the adjustments I would have to make. They informed us about the good things we would experience, the bad things we could experience, and warned us about STDs. They also told us about culture shock and the way we would feel and react. First things are quaint. Then those things that were once shiny and new become frustrating because you just miss the way things are done back home. Finally, when you get home, you realize how much you want to be in that foreign land once again.

Now, it's not surprising that I felt that first stage immediately, and darned it all if things weren't quaint. I was, however, expecting to feel the backlash a lot sooner. But no, I didn't really feel it until two weeks ago. And it was all because of Thanksgiving.

You'd think the UK would celebrate being rid of us. But, that's not how they see it, ergo I had to go to class on Thanksgiving. The bright side to them not celebrating the holiday here was that I wasn't forced to buy a turkey too far in advanced. This is a blessing because it's already difficult finding space in the mini-fridge that six people share.

But one of the biggest thorns in my side was that they don't have canned pumpkin here. I know. I made the nice lady at Sainsbury's check their system. I kept thinking, "I can't have Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie." So, I was forced to buy it on the internet. Another thing they don't have here is Velveeta. Some people like it; some people don't. The point is, it's what's called for in the broccoli rice casserole I have every year. So once again I went on the internet, and I found that people suggested Squeeze Cheese. It's a processed cheese that comes from a tube.

The pumpkin was not delivered on the expected day and I was starting to stress out about it. I found myself missing the way things are done back home. I missed my family. I missed HEB where I knew where everything was. I missed recipes that aren't in metric measurements. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to measure 113g of butter?

Soon other things started to bother me. Like the fact that instead of using quotation marks, they use what one of my professors calls inverted commas. I sat through a good portion of that lecture wondering what the heck an inverted comma was. But yes, even the inverted comma earned my discontent. It's difficult to stop using quotation marks like you normally would, especially if you're used to writing prose. I wanted to growl at all the people who said "cheers" when stepping off the bus. Here they say that as a thanks. I've tried it, but it sounds and feels weird. Half the time I think I should have a drink in my hand and a quarter of the time I wish I did have a drink in my hand.

Things are just different here, and I wanted to be back home with my family.

Thanksgiving


My flatmates and I decided that we were going to do an American Thanksgiving, but since we had class on Thursday, we decided to postpone it until that Sunday. That morning I woke up and started the task of baking. I made an apple pie. And since my flatmate Carissa said she would be baking a pumpkin sheet cake, I decided to hold off on the pumpkin pie. Funny how things work out, huh?

I put together the casserole and after that baked, my flatmates helped me put the turkey in the oven before starting on the mashed potatoes. I still have no idea how to tuck a wing in place. I was afraid I would snap the poor thing, so one of the wings was just flapping around free.

Although it is an American holiday, I couldn't very well not invite people that are not from the U.S. So around our table this Thanksgiving we had three Americans, two Spaniards, and one Czech. All girls, no boys. And dinner was delicious.



So for some reason, when I saw that they have cranberry sauce here, I bought it. I don't particularly enjoy it, but it wasn't that strange jelly from a can, so I gave it a whirl. No, folks, it turns out I don't like it.

Faith, one of my flatmates made the sweet potato casserole/pie. It was very yummy. And the broccoli rice casserole was a hit.

None of us knew how to carve a turkey. I'm not going into a rant on gender roles in society, but I honestly don't know if a person with a Y chromosome had been there that he would have automatically known how to carve the bird. Carissa watched a video online and told me the general idea.

After we ate, I told them that I was tired and not very good at picking the meat off the bone. So who stepped up to the plate? Olga from the Czech Republic and Anabel from Spain.


So, they picked the bones clean and I was adamant in finding the wishbone. Since Olga was such a big help in finding the damn bone, I thought I'd let her in on this tradition. She took it seriously.

The outcome: a wishbone split down the middle. I think this means I'll only get half of my wish. Or maybe we both get our wishes! Yeah, I choose that outcome.



Upcoming Plans


So now that school is finished. (Just finishing up a couple of essays.) I still have one month here before returning home. One month to travel and write.

In my last post I talked about NaNoWriMo and hoping to write a total of six chapters. This did not happen. The most I wrote in a creative aspect that wasn't an assignment was a couple of poems. So with all my free time I can start writing again, hopefully. It was one of my goals in coming here. 

Another one of my goals was traveling. So my upcoming plans involve a trip to London. I'm going with the Spaniards for four days and three nights. There's a list of places we want to go to, and I'm ecstatic about going. We leave this Saturday so expect a post about that shiny adventure next.

I also want to make my way back to Glasgow and Edinburgh. Glasgow to see the Mitchell Library and Edinburgh to see the castle. From Edinburgh I'm hoping to go on one of the free tours up to the Highlands. When my mother gets here, we're going, but unlike the free tour, the one I'm going to book for us will go up to Loch Ness. So, yeah, more adventures are to be had!

Until next time!


Our last night together.

From left to right: Elise, me, Carissa, Faith, Lorena, Anabel.

I'll miss you, girls.




No comments:

Post a Comment